Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chocolate Truffle Doughnut from Krispy Kreme

I'm a big fan of Valentine's Day, because I like heart shapes and the colour combination of red and pink.

Oh, and I'm a sappy romantic that loves chocolate and cake.

The Chocolate Truffle doughnut from Krispy Kreme is the second of two Valentine's doughnuts, the first one being the Red Velvet Cake, which I reviewed yesterday and really loved.

I had the pleasure of being able to try the Chocolate Truffle doughnut twice, and the second time around it was significantly better. I bought a box of Valentine's doughnuts for my office, with the ulterior motive of wanting to have another stab at the Red Velvet and Chocolate Truffle.

 
As you can see, a couple are already gone as of this photo...by the time this post goes up, I expect them to all have been eaten.

The Chocolate Truffle is allegedly strawberry jam and 'chocolate truffle cream', which is just chocolate flavoured krispy 'kreme', like you find in the classic filled doughnut. That's fine though, the problem with my first doughnut was that there was about a dime-sized amount of chocolate cream, and a nickel of strawberry jam.

I'm not that into yeast-raised doughnuts, at least not enough to be happy just eating a big heart of it. That filling was definitely needed. Luckily the next doughnut was more appropriately filled, seemed like a good dollop of each.  A dollop of course being the technical term for using a spoon to plop something into, or onto, another thing.

So, two hearty dollops of strawberry jam and chocolate cream, and I'm in like Flynn. The strawberry jam is super sweet, and just tastes like red jam--can't say I would've guessed it was strawberry, I actually assumed it was meant to be raspberry. The chocolate 'truffle' cream was quite nice, not too sweet (for what it is), vaguely chocolatey, and a it had a decent mouthfeel.  I hate fake cream products that coat the roof of your mouth, this one just felt like really heavily whipped buttercream frosting.

The doughnut, well, you've had one raised doughnut you've had them all, basically. Unless it is an amazing doughnut from a real prestigious...doughnuttery... it is always going to seem a bit like white bread baked with extra sugar. Nice, but that's not what you're there for, ya know? You're here for the frosting and filling.

The frosting was very thin, and I don't understand why they even bother saying 'dark chocolate and white chocolate' coated, because you will never, ever taste the white chocolate in a design like this. Fair enough though, they're just being specific. It is a cute little design when it isn't smudgy. If somebody gave me one of these on Valentine's morning I'd give them a kiss on the cheek.


 If you want to try this one, I think it would be best if you picked up two, just in case one of them is under filled  Worst thing that can happen, you eat two cute little doughnuts. No biggie. Just make sure you pick up a few of the Red Velvet ones, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment